Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Drunk and Happy

One of my most treasured possessions is the stamp that we use to admit people to Glitterbox Burlesque.  I want this stamp to be my logo.  I love it so much it makes me want to weep.  This image embodies what The School of Charm and Cheek is all about - surrendering to the deep state of rapture that comes from realizing ones own beauty.

Do you see how tickled, turned on, and reverent she is about her own reflection?  I have to admit, I do this all the time.  I do! I have been known to spend copious amounts of time in front of the mirror, just studying and enjoying my beauty.  This may sound narcissistic, but I assure you, it is quite the opposite. Narcissism is what happens when a person's primary concern is on what other people think. This, on the other hand, is about being a slave to one thing only - the Divine as it is expressed in your beauty, and allowing yourself to be as as inspired and moved by your own reflection as a pilgrim arriving in the holy land. 

I find it curious that in a culture that spends about $7 Billion on beauty in this country alone, we so rarely choose to just indulge; to take it all in, and roll around in it. We collect and store our beauty in a basement, like a rack of vintage wine, delicious and satisfying, yet dust-covered and fermenting because we are too afraid to open a single bottle. Can you imagine how different the world would be if we spent as much time basking in our reflections as we do tearing them apart?

We've all had moments in life that bring us to our knees in gratitude at the privilege of being alive. Like when you see a gorgeous summer sunset and you feel like you are staring straight at heaven itself.  Or when a baby falls asleep in your arms.  Or when you hear the fact that when otters fall asleep, they hold hands with their mate as they float along so they won't become separated in the river.

When we can experience this fullness of heart, humility and rapture while staring into the heart of our own beauty, it is then that we are truly living the life that was intended for us.

So today, when you meet your next mirror, blow the dust off and pop the cork on your beauty. Guzzle that wine like it's Armageddon day. Then pass your glass to the next woman - drunk, happy and content.

No comments:

Post a Comment